A303 Thruxton Hill, Kimpton Quarley and Picket Twenty – Bridge Refurbishment
Long-term monitoring of the bridges at Thruxton Hill, Kimpton Quarley and Picket Twenty has confirmed that these structures require repair to ensure the long-term integrity of the network, improve safety and provide safer journeys for the public.
The work requires Kier Highways, on behalf of Highways England, to replace the bridge deck waterproofing membrane material, expansion joints and resurfacing across each bridge.
The scheme is currently scheduled to start in late July 2017 and is expected to be completed by January 2018. Works will primarily be undertaken during night-time hours, so you may not see any activities during the day.
For the safety of both our customers and workforce, narrow lanes and a 50mph speed restriction will be in place for the duration of the scheme.
In addition, to facilitate some of the work it will be necessary to close sections of the A303 overnight (9pm to 6am) as well as for weekend periods (9pm Friday through to 6am Monday).
During work to remove and install the waterproofing material and expansion joints there will be a requirement to fully close the following sections of the A303 for entire weekend periods (9pm on a Friday through to 6am on a Monday):
- Thruxton Hill and Kimpton Quarley – during work to these bridges, the A303 will be fully closed between the A338 Parkhouse Cross and A343 Hundred Acre junctions for up to four weekends during September and October 2017
- Picket Twenty – during work at Picket Twenty the A303 will be fully closed between the A343 Hundred Acre and A3093 Picket Twenty junctions for up to four weekends during November and December 2017
The planning of all roadworks is led by safety – for both road users and workers alike. These full weekend closures are required due to nature of the activities to be undertaken which cannot be done using other methods of traffic management.
Confirmed dates for the closures will be displayed in advance on signs along the A303, on the Highways England website and via the media.
Thruxton Hill/Kimpton Quarley
- Eastbound closure – north on the A338 to Tidworth, A3026 east to Ludgershall, south on A342 Andover Road towards Andover, re-joining the A303 at the Hundred Acre junction
- Westbound closure – north on the A342 Andover Road to Ludgershall, A3026 west to Tidworth, south on the A338 re-joining the A303 at the Parkhouse Cross junction
- Eastbound closure – from the Hundred Acre junction around Andover via the A343, A3057 and A3093, re-joining the A303 at the Picket Twenty junction
- Westbound closure – from the Picket Twenty junction, around Andover via the A3093, A3057 and A343, re-joining the A303 at the Hundred Acre junction
Information will be displayed further afield advising long distance road users to use alternative routes to avoid the area.
Significant delays are expected during these weekend closure periods, and it is advisable that you plan ahead of your journey to allow for extra time or avoid this route where possible.
We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused throughout the works, in particular during the weekend closures.
If you have any questions or if you’d like you know about the work please contact Highways England’s customer control centre:
Phone: 0300 123 5000
Post: Highways England, Bridge House, 1 Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, GU1 4LZ